In Reception we will support children to develop their gross and fine motor skills. Developing their physical skills will include using scissors, climbing and holding a pencil correctly. By the end of Reception children will be able to:
Physical Development Gross Motor Skills
- Negotiate space and obstacles safely, with consideration for themselves and others.
- Demonstrate strength, balance and coordination when playing.
- Move energetically, such as running, jumping, dancing, hopping, skipping and climbing.
Fine Motor Skills
- Hold a pencil effectively in preparation for fluent writing – using the tripod grip in almost all cases.
- Use a range of small tools, including scissors, paintbrushes and cutlery.
- Begin to show accuracy and care when drawing.