In Reception we will support children to develop their mathematical skills, this will include number knowledge and counting through singing songs and rhymes. Children will also be supported in recognising patterns found within numbers and also understanding numbers in various contexts such as quantities. By the end of Reception children will be able to:
- Have a deep understanding of number to 10, including the composition of each number. Subitise (recognise quantities without counting) up to 5.
- Automatically recall (without reference to rhymes, counting or other aids) number bonds up to 5 (including subtraction facts) and some number bonds to 10, including double facts.
- Verbally count beyond 20, recognising the pattern of the counting system.
- Compare quantities up to 10 in different contexts, recognising when one quantity is greater than, less than or the same as the other quantity.
- Explore and represent patterns within numbers up to 10, including evens and odds, double facts and how quantities can be distributed equally.